Saturday, February 27, 2010

Beach bumming...

Our beach babe look ;)

Yup that's actually me!!
I'm so proud of myself I had to add 2 pics - hey, the bruises shouldn't be for nothing!


Riding the buggie for my first kitesurf class

Sunset on the beach - Jeri

Breakfast with new friends in Fortaleza

Best part so far: All we do is meet amazing people, hang out, drink, dance and generally have great conversations with great people. We can't stress enough how wonderful people are. Great news - We like people again! Yay!!

Nationalities we’ve made friends with: Germans, Fins, French, Swiss, Brit, Argentinean, Polish, Brazilians and half of Israel. Incidentally, we have spoken more French in the last 2 weeks than we have in years. And all we can say in Portuguese is Oi (hello in slang) and Obrigada (thanks) - so ya, getting really far there...

Most potent drink: Um, everything! All the drinks here are made with fresh fruits shaken or blended into it. Yes, drinking is considered a leisure sport here...

Most enjoyable beer: We both don’t drink beer but we’ve learned that there’s nothing better than that first cold cooling gulp after a hot sweaty day in the beach. Omg, beer drinkers of the world - we understand the enjoyment.

Fave meal: The specials around here - it’s chicken, rice, mashed potatoes, beans, salad. Even Yuko started talking about the explosion of flavours in her mouth.

Modes of transportation: So far, we’ve taken planes, taxis, dune buggies (over sand dunes), trucks (that have been reformed to fit 18 people to get through cobble and packed red clay streets), buses and little sail barges.

Best place to swim: Azul Lagoon. Pristine, fresh water lagoon. Best enjoyed with awesome company and vodka red bulls.

Most exhilarating moment: Kitesurfing! While, I haven’t made it to pro status - I did graduate from my 3 day intensive basic course. My instructor was this cute hunk of a 21 year old Brazilian beach bum - who’s nickname is Backstreet boy because he’s so purrrrty! Kitesurfing was the most amazing feeling…when you actually get on the board. Apparently, I have “good control” but I need to “push the bar and not pull so much”. I have to learn to “feel the wind and be one with it” ;) I am so sore and I’m pretty sure that I have bruises in the weirdest places but it was all worth it!

Ugh moment: Being sun burned. Although we’re ridiculously diligent about sun block, apparently, being this close to the equator means that the sun is strong. By the way, funny thing - sunblock prices here get more expensive as the SPF goes up! So weird but I guess the whiter you are the richer you are...stupid tourists. ;)

Coolest realization: It’s amazing how the days just fly by. It’s something like day 18 and Yuko thinks it still feels like we’re just on a 3 week holiday. Myself, not so much. It definitely feels like we’re traveling and it’s a journey...for now, from one beach town to another!



3 comments:

  1. I'm so thrilled for you guys. I'm glad you are having such an amazing time...you both look super hardcore and adorable in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. Thank you for sharing this fantastic adventure with all of us. Makes me feel almost there :) Great pics and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could be there with you two. Life is a journey and you are living it!

    ReplyDelete