Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Scooter Diaries - the Filipino TeleNovela

I've had a really great last couple of weeks and I figure that showing pictures would be the best way to share my experiences this last month. I was inspired by the amazing last couple of days I had renting a scooter and booming around Negroes Oriental. I loved it! To me, it's everything that the Philippines should be - friendly, safe, fun, laid back, beach and great waters. To be honest, if my family came from somewhere awesome like this - I'd be here for even a longer time! In any case, this is November through my eyes and experiences:

For some reason, I associate random wild animals and religious icons as Filipino phenomenon.

Undas - Usually hanging out in the cemetery is not my idea of a good time, but hey, anything for the sake of culture! I wish my picture of the cotton candy man turned out better...

After that, it was finally time to start seeing some of the beautiful sites the Philippines has to offer:

Banaue Rice Terraces - The 8th wonder of the world. 2000 year old rices terraces carved on the side of a mountain. I've always wanted to see them so it was awesome to finally get a trip up Northern Luzon to see it!

Scorpio week long appreciation - Holy, it was a never ending Birthday of good times! There was a total of 4 celebrations! A few lessons learned:

1. Don't break a glass in the Philippines - they make you pay for it.

2. I'm still a dangerously wicked bartender. Energy shooters will keep you up all day.


I finally got out of the "mainland" and went to Cebu to visit my uncle, Boss Mike and my Tita Ruth.

Enjoying the fresh seafood.

Ended up taking a boat to another island - Negros Oriental.

Apo Island is in the world's list of “100 dives to do before you die.” Ya, no kidding! They have the most biodiverse reefs in the world!

I did 3 dives it was so awesome!

Renting a scooter and seeing Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. I really do love the feeling of the wind as you whip around in speeds that a 100cc scooter really shouldn't do. There's something liberating about having 360 views of everything as you drive by

And the ride was ridiculously beautiful.

I mean, it's not all glamorous with the bugs, smoke from the cars, and getting rained on, but I suppose it's all part of the experience.
Right before a downpour!
I drove a total of over 200 kms and checked out Mabinay to see caves. I'd have rappelled down them but I've learned that unfortunately, the Philippines isn't as conducive to independent travelers - I'm having a really hard time justifying paying for a solo adventure priced for 4-5 people!

Kayaking around Twin Lakes - basically the Filipino version of Buntzen Lake!

I headed over to Siquior looking for some beach action and found an awesomely cheap place near the ocean.

and made some new friends.

I feel like I'm in the traveling groove again - check my fresh mango juice with an umbrella
and my new Finnish boys!

Snorkeling in the Marine Sanctuary in San Juan with my awesome underwater camera!

Finding Nemo ;)

Going to see a faith healer up in the mystical mountains of Siquior and getting her to explain the voodoo preventing amulets and resisting buying the Love Potion...

3 comments:

  1. Loving the underwater pics, especially. They should bottle your energy and sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo, love the diving and scooting around! Great shots . . . and please send the tall Finnish boy along with some love potion over to the DR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charina - you are awesome! I am amazed at all of the things you have done. The pictures are great, you are obviously having a blast. Stay safe!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete